Pewter Lowercase Letter m 47/366 - A Day In The Life S DSC_1212 N B Subway Mosaic R III yellowo with hole Bead Letter W letter N special A M-i lindo E DSC_1343

Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'm up to double digits--Thing 10

We've been using pbwiki software for over a year to do a reference department wiki. I have to say that it's pretty clunky to use and kind of ugly-looking, compared to the software packages that cost money like wikia or mediawiki. Although it wasn't just the software that led us not to use the wiki very much. I think we just didn't develop a sense of the value of communicating in this way.
I was impressed with the range of uses to which others have put the wiki, and was really impressed by the Library Blogger's Wiki--the list of public libraries having there own blogs was both impressive and depressing at the same time. I noticed, for example, that Hennepin County supports 5 different blogs, and that many very small libraries all over the country have their own, while we here where I work have none. But I'm supposed to be talking about wiki's here, so I won't go on a blog rant. But honestly--it's embarrassing. Anyway, I really liked the look of the Library Success Wiki--clean look, clear outline and lots of direct links to other places. Same look as the Wikipedia.
As opposed to my comments on Thing 9, I really think the wiki is a marvelous tool to capture the expertise of the online community, but of course, there does seem to be a need for some monitoring of the contributions. I noticed that one of the wikis required an email confirmation prior to allowing contributions to articles. That's an unfortunate, but probably necessary precaution.
I'm hoping that the exposure to wikis during the 23 things process will give us here more interest in using our own wiki, and that we come up with more uses for it. We'll see.

1 comment:

Carolnb said...

Blogs are easier than wikis.