Pewter Lowercase Letter m 47/366 - A Day In The Life S DSC_1212 N B Subway Mosaic R III yellowo with hole Bead Letter W letter N special A M-i lindo E DSC_1343

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Thing 15, part 2--Second Life

I looked at the YouTube video, as well as several other of the listed resources, on Second Life. I have to say I still don't get it. Oh, I understand the idea that it's a way to exercise one's creativity, and that it's possible to create venues for online communication and training opportunities for people from all over. But what I don't get is the whole creation of avatars to represent individuals and of virtual locations in which this communication and training can take place. It seems to me that the types of "serious" uses of Second Life described in some of the resources can be accomplished in other,less time- and technology-intensive ways. I admit that some of the images that I saw were really beautiful, and showed a lot of creativity, but ultimately the question is, to what end? Since I'm more of a gomer than a gamer, maybe it's just me, but I just don't get it.<em>

2 comments:

Prairie Librarian said...

I'm playing catch-up with you and the others on 23 Things. I was interested to read your blog on gaming exploration. I am curious what game you think I might investigate. What would you recommend?

Carolnb said...

Oh good, someone else who doesn't go gaga over online gaming. I like board games, but I guess I don't get the appeal of online gaming, there are so many other things to do, like keeping a two year entertained...