Pewter Lowercase Letter m 47/366 - A Day In The Life S DSC_1212 N B Subway Mosaic R III yellowo with hole Bead Letter W letter N special A M-i lindo E DSC_1343

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thing 13

I think I've figured out why I'm not really interested in these so-called productivity tools. In order for them to really help improve my productivity, they would have to help me organize or streamline activities which I am already undertaking. If I had, for example, a dozen or more web sites that I routinely checked for updates, having a site like PageFlakes organize them on my homepage would be very useful. That's what Bloglines does for the blogs that I follow. However, and this is a BIG however, I don't have that pre-existing set of sites to watch, so anything I do with one of these tools is extra work, and I'm just not that interested in keeping up with a bunch of specific sites.
That being said, I did create a PageFlakes page for myself, and put a bunch of stuff on it that I probably won't be able to keep up with. I'd make it my home page on the computer on my desk at work, but there are some days when I never log it on, and I can see the stuff piling up, much like posts from "Stephen's Lighthouse" does on my Bloglines account.
I tried to put a countdown to my vacation to Europe widget here, but the code wouldn't transfer right. I'm not sure if it's not working because it's not working, or because I'm incompetent--"the nut behind the wheel" as my father-in-law puts it. I'd like to believe that it's the former, but it's probably the latter. Oh well. On to Thing 14.

1 comment:

Carolnb said...

Most of them seem to create more work than I think they are worth.